Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Hard Walk of Peace

My wife and I recently travelled to San Francisco. She was there for business. I met her there for vacation, or holiday as some call it. The first day we were together we decided to walk from our hotel to Fisherman's Wharf, less than a two mile walk. "Come on," I encouraged her. "We're used to walking; we can make it up and down a few of these San Franciscan hills!" We did make the walk and enjoyed the day. The next day we were sore from all the hard work of walking. We bought a three-day pass and rode the trolley (never pull the rope in a trolley) and bus from then on.

As I was musing about our sore muscles from the hard walking, I reflected on how peace is also a hard walk. Wouldn't it be nice if we could always choose who we are going to walk with and who we will lean on as we are inclined toward peace? We tend to think everyone else in our world is stranger than we are, but the fact is we are all strange. Just ride a city bus whether in San Francisco, or Chicago and you will soon see and smell and hear just how different we are. Peace is not easy. It's a hard walk, but I know you and I can make it, if we are so inclined.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home